Contract Airline Services


"We are the protagonists of our stories called life, and there is no limit to how high we can fly."


PHD. MBA. MHS. Type rated on A350, A330, B777, B747-400, B747-200, B757, B767, B737, B727. International Airline Pilot / Author / Speaker. Dedicated to giving the gift of wings to anyone following their dreams. Supporting Aviation Safety through training, writing, and inspiration. Fighting for Aviation Safety and Airline Employee Advocacy. Safety Culture and SMS change agent.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Jennifer Dybell: Why I Want to Fly

Jennifer Dybell

"I love the Universe, and I love exploring and experiencing it. Whether it be caring for animals, nurturing a garden, or venturing out to forests and lakes, listening to a good old Geography or Physics lecture.. or simply looking up at the stars to discover our Earth's past. But what better way is there to experience such a glorious creation than being in the greatest creation of all.. our Sky!
       
Since I was a child, I've always looked up towards the sky. My earliest memory is lying impatiently on my Dad's lap in the hustle and bustle of an airport, looking out of the giant windows, watching, searching. I can still remember the strange scent of the building, a mixture of leather and coffee, and the most vast, diverse amount of people than Europe and Australasia collided. Never had I visited a noisier place, which at the same time seemed in itself to create a hollow silence. Yet, I blended in with everyone else. I was just another passenger ready to embrace the skies. Another passenger with no special significance, fading into the background.
       
It was unfamiliar territory for me. And since then, I've been forever searching for the answer to the question: why do we travel? We travel because life itself is a journey. Although few people stop to consider it. The majority of people I know consider travel a hassle, an inconvenience, a headache. But not me, and especially not when it's air travel. Being in the air is an exhilarating experience, and humans have mastered the skill of flight. I want to be one of those masters, and posses that skill. I want to help people along their journeys, and so help them throughout life. Besides, life isn't about the destination, where you suddenly end up, it's about the journey and the connections and achievements you make along the way.
       
Thinking about this, I've always considered flying a plane as a metaphor for controlling your life. I see it very similar to taking off against the wind and being in control of something so huge and important, that you simply cannot just give up. I want to be the Captain of my life. If I master the skill of flight, I master my own life. An ambition cannot simply be ignored"

Jennifer you are the Captain of your life and can do anything you want. Flying is the perfect metaphor for life. Keep your dreams alive and one day, you too, will be spreading your wings and soaring to new heights and far off destinations.

Enjoy the Journey!

~ Karlene

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for bringing Jennifer to us, Karlene. What a thoughtful young woman. I love that question: why do we travel? Something fun to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how she put that, "An ambition simply cannot be ignored." Well said Jennifer! Best of luck to her in all that she does. She sounds like an amazing person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great essay! Without question you should not ignore your ambition! Keep at it and you will succeed! Hope to see you in the airport someday on your way to another adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved what you said Karlene "Captains of our lives" Yes!! we can do whatever we wanna do .. and thats the only way to live!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda that is an excellent question. Why do we travel? Work. Play. The journey. To get felt up by TSA? So many answers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather, you are so right! Ambition cannot be ignored. You live by that yourself! Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the great comment. You are following your ambition too! That's why you're so successful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carlos you too are the Captain of your life. Thank you so much for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing her story,Karlene san.
    I like the way how she thinks that"why I want to fly".Especially,the part that I want to help people along their journey.I do have same opinion why I want to become pilot:)))
    Have a great day.
    Jun

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jun, you will become a pilot! And one day you will meet Jen too. A small world. I love her essay. Maybe you could write one too. :) Thank you for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jennifer has articulated the exact way I feel about flying! I recently noticed that most of my life goals are integrated into my goal of becoming a pilot, and I too believe my ultimate purpose is to master myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Steffan, Thank you for the great comment! I think mastering ourselves might be one of the most important things we can do. And following our goals and dreams is all part of that journey.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes.I love to think why I want to work at aviation industry,especially airline pilot position.This thinking always motivates me when I have hard time to study English language.Right now,I really love to study English language.The more I communicate with friends/people,the more I got adrenaline to learn.I really like to know other people's idea from your blog.Thank you very much for sharing,and YES,I WILL BECOME A PILOT in the near future.
    Have a great day,Karlene san.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! If your comment doesn't appear immediately, it will after I land. Enjoy the journey!