Contract Airline Services


"We are the protagonists of our stories called life, and there is no limit to how high we can fly."


PHD. MBA. MHS. Type rated on A350, A330, B777, B747-400, B747-200, B757, B767, B737, B727. International Airline Pilot / Author / Speaker. Dedicated to giving the gift of wings to anyone following their dreams. Supporting Aviation Safety through training, writing, and inspiration. Fighting for Aviation Safety and Airline Employee Advocacy. Safety Culture and SMS change agent.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Marc Ye: Friday's Fabulous Flyer



Marc’s story began like many others, with the fascination of aviation at the age of sixteen.  He was on a flight from Boston to Denver, sitting over the wing. He gazed out the window and became instantly fascinated by the mechanics of the slats, flaps, spoilers and reverse thrust on this United Airlines’ B737.
Adventure, responsibility, respect, and a very high compensation package (at the time) sparked his interest of the possibility that one day he could become an airline pilot. However, he had other interests as well, specifically photography and video production. At one point he had the dream of becoming a National Geographic photographer, until he discovered the pay wasn’t desirable. Ironically enough, the head photographer for National Geographic makes more than most airline pilots today.  How times have changed.
Photography didn’t support his financial dreams, and his guidance counselor had told him that he needed to join the military to become a pilot. After high school Marc followed a completely different path, and pursued a career in electrical engineering hoping to achieve approval from his Dad, which sadly he said, “never came.”  He hated electrical engineering, which explained why he didn’t graduate with honors. His heart was not in his studies.

Realizing he’d traveled down the wrong career path, shortly after college, he decided to pursue a career in aviation. He flew to Oakland California and attended Sierra Academy of Aeronautics. At an accelerated pace, he obtained all of his ratings necessary to become a professional pilot. His next task was to get flight experience. 
He returned to Massachusetts to flight instruct.  Two years later he was hired with USAir Express, and flying Metroliners and Saab 340’s. After five and half years, in 1996, he was hired with Northwest Airlines. He initially flew the DC-9 as a co-pilot, became a second officer on the B747, then a first officer on the B757, and now he’s flying as a DC-9 captain.
 
Not too long ago, his heart flew back to one of his first passions: media arts. The Minnesota Historical Society 1968 film festival was open for anyone to make a ten-minute film on any subject that occurred in 1968.  When he learned that the Boeing 747 was introduced to the public in September of 1968, he ran with it, and created an award winning film. Yes, he won an award!

 Revelation Award
Marc has come full circle melding his two loves into one.
He say’s, “This has been a labor of love making this film. The historical society enjoyed my film so much they awarded me the revelation award along with a check of $2000!”
  
You can watch the video by clicking HERE, and selecting 2010 Award Winning Films. His is the video with the gorgeous plane:  Jumbo:  The Disappearance of an American Icon. Once on that page, click on the plane to watch.

Marc is an extremely talented video producer, as you can see, and he did an incredible job with this video. If you’re interested in this award winning film, and want to own a bit of Boeing 747 history, one of the greatest airplanes ever built, you can purchase a copy of the video for yourself by emailing Marc at:  md747leap@frontiernet.net

I actually bought a few copies. Christmas gifts, and I am giving a FREE copy to one of my followers.
Yes! I am giving one of you a free 747 video.
All you have to do is sign up to follow my blog, and leave a comment that you want to be entered for the drawing. One name will be randomly picked by Random.Org, and the winner announced October 30th
And don’t forget to leave a comment for this week’s Friday Fabulous Flyer, Marc Ye. 

Once you see this video, I'm sure you'll want a copy of your own. 
Thank you Marc for a flash to the past! Best of luck with your video.

~Enjoy the Journey~
Karlene 

PS... if there is a funky purple color on the title, this is blogspot having hot flashes. Hopefully it will go away. 

42 comments:

  1. Mark, you are officially my date for this evening. Well, at least watching your film is :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marc has a date. Yeah! Cool video... of course you want me to enter you in the drawing? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please put me in the drawing! I love those things, and am sorry they are going away. I enjoyed seeing the first one on a business trip to Seattle. I had extra time, and stopped off at the Museum of Flight on my way to SeaTac.

    ReplyDelete
  4. D.B. YOU are in! Thanks for the comment and for following.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this story. I can relate to doing what I think will make others happy, and still not making them happy. And I am now pursuing what will make me happy. Thanks for sharing Marc's story. It gives me more hope that I can succeed in doing what I want to do as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once again, great Friday Flyer article! Go ahead and throw my name into that drawing. Looking forward to more reading here. Also, I'll get that email to you shortly.

    Also, great job Marc. I kinda did the same thing with taking a different career path instead of following my love for aviation. Trying to remedy that now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and please add my name to the drawing as well. Mahalo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well Karlene, You know I wanna win that :) I'm @pilotnl you probably knew that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karlene, of all the people I follow on twitter, I find your posts among the most interesting. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want in but I dont want a date with Marc...is that OK? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karlene, this is very cool! I'm in too.

    StdntPilotMark
    (Mark LaCoste)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your comment Supovadea! So true! Good luck on the drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Student Pilot Mark... You're in too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marc, your story sounds fascinating! I'd love a copy of your video! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Julie, Thanks for your comment! He will be so happy to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How could I pass on a fellow aviator's artistic-expression?

    I'm in position and holding! Oh wait, it's now... I'm lined-up and waiting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hold that line up! Clearance coming shortly...but we've started down and they're making me shut off my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Karlene, I believe you know this but, for the curious... "purple" is the default color for a "visited link". "Blue" is the default for an "unvisited live link".

    ReplyDelete
  19. Madam Petitt, you are the multi-tasker! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Windtee... Interesting. I didn't know that. It has never been purple before. Or has it? And the Blue turned a different color too. Maybe I need a progressive on Blogspot. I'm sure of it! Uh oh... Flight Attendant coming my way...ducking eeek ahhh... oohh. Talk to you on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  21. If you only knew. I'm checking gates for fellow passengers, IMing my daughter, reading emails, tweeting and blogging. Amazing what a few hours of sleep and coffee with sugar can do. ;) Hopefully there is a bed in my very near future.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Excellent story. I'm going to pass on the date I think but I'm in. :)

    @737av8r (no longer lost :))

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is for Patrick because he wrote: Karlene, I just signed in twice, but via the iPhone it is impossible to leave a comment to your blog :( Kind regards. Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  24. couldnt get the vid to work for some reason on my computer :(
    Looks like its neat though!
    maybe one about the DC-9 in the future Marc?

    ReplyDelete
  25. It Very neat! And...DC-9 in the future is a great idea! You see it soon. You're entered in the drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Whoops. yeah, forgot my name ;)
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  27. Terrific! May the force be with you. I'm onboard my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! So many wonderful responses! I landed in Amsterdam and realized there were a bunch of additions to add.
    Martha Stewardess,
    Dan,
    Supovadea,
    Rik,
    Mike,
    Andrew,
    LipoPilot
    and Victoria... You are all in!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello Karlene,
    I'm a B747 enthusiast lives in Tokyo Japan(^^ and to shoot shining brighting skies.
    I'm very impressed this contents.
    I'm not sure how to watch the Video.
    Will the wining film site open from Nov ?
    I'm looking forward to see the film.
    I prefer to call her JUMBO jet!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am pleased to announce that Jumbo: The Disappearance of an American icon has won another award lastnight at the Shamrock Film Festival in Rosemount Minnesota for best amateur film!

    Marc Ye

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello enthusiast from Japan... go to the link above "HERE" in purple and click on that. Then click on the box that say's 2010 award wining films. Then click on the Jumbo! Did you sign up to follow the blog... make sure you write your name in this post too so I can enter you in the drawing.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congratulations Marc on your continued success!! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congrats Marc! Are you a Rosemount resident? I am from Apple Valley myself- up here at UND- a year and a half to go. Maybe I will see you one of these days when I non-rev home to the cities- I get on the DC-9s once and awhile.
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Dan. No, I am not a Rosemount resident. The festival was open to anybody in the state of Minnesota wanting to enter a film. I get to GFK once in a while. If you're non- rev passenger, poke your head in the flight deck. It may be me flying you back to MSP!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Marc, CONGRATULATIONS!!! You are a great guy and now it seems a pretty decent film maker :) Well done. I can't wait to see it.

    See you next August?

    NW to DL F.O. Stephanie M. Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'll be looking!
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  37. I really do want this vid.. he is so aspiring

    ReplyDelete
  38. Nicholas, Thanks for signing up. I've decided to give away two videos. I hope you get lucky... You're entered!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hahaha...
    wow... tanxx karlene....
    i'm so happy...
    hope for the best yeah...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! If your comment doesn't appear immediately, it will after I land. Enjoy the journey!