Contract Airline Services


"We are the protagonists of our stories called life, and there is no limit to how high we can fly."


PHD. MBA. MHS. Type rated on A350, A330, B777, B747-400, B747-200, B757, B767, B737, B727. International Airline Pilot / Author / Speaker. Dedicated to giving the gift of wings to anyone following their dreams. Supporting Aviation Safety through training, writing, and inspiration. Fighting for Aviation Safety and Airline Employee Advocacy. Safety Culture and SMS change agent.

Friday, May 18, 2012

Friday Flyer: Darin Scines



Darin Scines
Owner / CEO Up-Elevator.com

Just Launched on April 2ndUp-Elevator.com

I met Darin on LinkedIn, and noticed that he was advertising aviation businesses on his site. What a great idea. I wrote to him and said, “Hey, you should put Flight For Control” on your site. Guess what? He did. As I snooped around Up-Elevator.com, curiosity got the better of me.



When I asked Darrin what his purpose for Up-Elevator.com was all about, he said:

Darin: There are a few reasons I started this site. I wanted to keep in touch with and become a leading source of information not generally known to the public. The news media doesn’t cover much aviation and there is so much great stuff out there going on. You can't quite catch everything as no one site covers everything. I would not be able to cover everything either but perhaps as I get bigger I can help to bring some things to one location for us all to enjoy.


Karlene: But wait Darin, I see you’re in real estate in California… But are you a pilot?

Darin:  “I have a unique aviation background. I was part of the Voyager World Flight Project as strictly a volunteer. I was in Civil Air Patrol as a teenager. I was in enlisted in the Air Force and was injured and am a veteran of the first Gulf War.”


I have worked for Chuck Hall P51 Pilot, Air Race pilot for Miss America years ago and an Apollo astronaut. You will be interested to know Chuck retired from JAL after flying 747's as well. 


Karlene: Your past is impressive, and I’m sorry to hear about your injury. But now you are working real estate, but you’re being pulled back into the sky?

Darin: I am currently a student pilot and have soloed. With the ups and downs of Real Estate it has been a struggle to finish and financially keep flying. Having the desire and appreciation for everything aviation I know how it pulls at the heart strings of so many. 


 

Karlene: Tell me how Up-Elevator.com is going to help you reach your dreams.

Darin: My goals and hopes for this web site have to do with my experience. I hope to make this site very big and very successful. With that and the products, which are how I can make revenue, I can reach out and touch many many people.


Karlene: Is this all about making money to fund your flying?

Darin: I would like to give a portion of the proceeds to schools scholarships and more. I want to fund speakers, demonstrations, field trips etc. I believe hands on learning, sites and sounds, the roar of an engine, the rumble from the ground inspires more than books with no inspiration. 



Why do the math if one thinks ill never use it?… This is a result of uninspired kids. No dreams, goals or aspirations. I think if we can inspire and get this in front of students we give them direction. This can be done with all things…Cooking, Aviation, Medicine, Animals, etc. Hands on is always better. My passion is aviation so that’s what I do. 



Karlene: You’ve got very admirable goals. Is this your own business? 

Darin: Yes, I work the business on my own. I hope that people from all over in the aviation community will pitch in with their stories and experiences. Maybe send pictures so we can share with people.



Karlene: What is your long-term goal with Up-Elevator.com?

Darin: I truly hope to make this so big that I am giving away a $100,000 a year to educate and inspire. That’s a small number to me. I honestly want to do much more. I hope that I can do this, but right now it is a start up and I realize it may be a hundred dollars this year and 100,000 next Ha Ha.. But it is real to me and can be done.

Karlene: How many products have you made for people?

Darin: Right now just me. The more successful and more products I can get out there the more I can do. Hire a person to help bring the web site to be much more. A graphic artist etc. I hope to have 50 designs by year end. Well on the way.

I would love to sell some shirts for efforts to find Amelia. Send some of the profits to the project heading that up. It is all an Idea right now… and how far I can take it will be determined by how much help I can get from aviation people like you. I cannot do this on my own.
 


Karlene: We all need help. Somewhere along the line. We receive, and then hopefully give back. I think this is a brilliant idea you’ve got going and I hope you receive the ultimate success.

Darin: The other part of the proceeds may help me to continue in aviation myself. I have waited years to fly and it’s my turn. But that said I will never stop telling people about the sensation that two brothers spent their lives working on and shared it with us....Wright Brothers.



Karlene: Darin, thank you for ordering my book. And I know you will have great success with your business. I’ll be getting one of my own cups and t-shirts made soon.

Darin: I am looking forward to reading your book and putting it on my shelf right next to the autographed Dick Rutan, Jeanna Yeager, and Burt Rutan’s Voyager Book. I completely admire anyone who takes the aviation challenge.


 

Ahhhh… I am honored to be on the shelf with the greats! 

Check Airman  Bob has a great attitude!

Now… for the rest of you.  This Attitude mug has been flying the world with me... Rome, Athens, Barcelona... and one lucky winner is going to receive it.  Yes, I will mail it to you.


Here is how to Enter to Win this Cup:
It's simple as 1, 2, 3.

1.     Leave a message for Darin under comments.
2.     Follow Darin on Twitter @UpElevator1 He just signed up last night!
3.     Tweet this blog.

The drawing will be sometime next week.
Don't forget to stop back and check to see if you're the winner~ Good Luck.

Enjoy the Journey! 

Flight For Safety update: 19411 words

34 comments:

  1. Darin, welcome to the Friday Flyer club! You have a very interesting story and I wish you much success with flight school. Please read Flight For Control. It is a phenomenal novel. I've read it twice and contemplating a third flight with it. Also, welcome to Twitter. We are one big happy Aviation family. Once you start following people and vice versa, you will meet some great people like Captain Karlene who I also met on Twitter. Once again, all the best and please be in touch and I will do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice comment Jeremy. We are one big happy aviation family. And that makes life so much fun!

      Delete
  2. Thank You Jermemy.. I hope to do big things with the site and appreciate all of your support. I have Karlenes book and am on the 12th chapter.. EDGE OF MY SEAT... Or should that be SEAT OF MY PANTs since this is an aviation novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh... Chapter 12. Seat of your pants? Edge of your seat? Make sure your pants and that seat are safely on the ground while reading. ;) Have fun.

      Delete
  3. Thank You Karlene for the Post today.I am honored... I am so glad to have met such a great person. Isn't the avaiation enthusiest great. All these people out there with the same dreams. I can't wait to keep inspireing with the web site.Anyone is welcome contact me and I will do whatever I can for your aviation youths as well as post your adventures.Old and young alike..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darin, you are so very welcome. Welcome aboard to the aviation enthusiast club. I know everyone will welcome you with open arms.

      Delete
  4. Darin! Like Jeremy said, welcome to the Friday Flyer Club! I look forward reading your updates on Twitter, and also see what the future will bring for your website! Your story is incredible, and I wish you blue skies in your aviation adventures and with flight school. If you have any questions, we are many pilots online on Twitter and blogs, who will try our very best in answering them for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your warm welcome Cecilie! We really do have a great group. And the Friday Flyer Club is the best. Maybe we need mugs! :)

      Delete
    2. Thank You Cecilie.. I have admiration for Karlene and anyone who Has that sensation.. I cannot hear a plane overhead without stoping dead in my tracks and looking.. What Links us together is that same feeling is what the wright brothers had.. Otto lilienthal Octave Chanute,The Montgolfier brothers, Amelia , The Rutans.. Its the same... We Want to see what your doing.. Everyone.. Because.. " We Fly "

      Delete
    3. Mugs, t-shirts, our names on airline jets, you name it ;-)

      Delete
  5. This sounds great, like Darin, you've had this passion simmering away in you always, and you finally got the nudge that pushed you into taking a chance on making your passion real every day in your life. Fantastic! I am following you on Twitter now. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Linda. This mug was quite the conversation piece around the world. It's nice when our passion gets a shove.

      Delete
    2. Thank You Linda.. I got you there on Twitter I appreciate the continued support today tomorrow and in the future...

      Delete
  6. Mugs... hmmmm .. Send me Ideas.. mugs and tshirts sounds like a winner... Ok friday flyers who has ideas..send them along and I will work on it... Hey Karlene.. 19000 words.. You write faster than I can read lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh... but a very rough draft. I should be writing now...but hey... sometimes I have to play with my friends on line.

      Delete
  7. Darin you have a great story! One day I would like to get to meet you! I also want to welcome you to Twitter! There are a lot of #AvGeeks out there and share your enthusiasm for aviation! Keep in touch and take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curtis, Thank you so much for the comment and the warm welcome for Darin. We all appreciate it... And YOU! Have a great day.

      Delete
    2. Curtis Look me up on twitter .. like me on facebook spread the word and grab a tshirt.. I would love to meet you someday also.. Please send your favorite aviation photos and stories... Thank You again.. and Please Keep in touch...

      Delete
  8. Up-elevator sounds like a great idea. The passion behind it should result making many dreams come true and the start of new dreams. The EAA young eagles program grew beyond expectations. It just takes an idea and a community that loves its hobby / career. Thank you for putting the site together and thank you Karlene for helping the community find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does take a community! This is one of the best parts of this industry... connecting people and being part of a family. I'm so glad I met Darin too. Thank you so much for your comment!

      Delete
    2. Huge Passion Indeed.. Spread the word about the site.. I hope to help organizations like CAP, Young Eagles etc. But there are also young minds out there stuck in a classroom that wont know about avaition unless we bring it to them. So many to reach many to inspire.. and now to sell a few shirts and mugs..Thanks for the support DG

      Delete
  9. Darin, I like your reason for being involved in Aviation. Those two pictures of Civil Air Patrol Personnel look like they predate my existence in the program. I hope your dreams come true. I started out as a Cadet in CAP in 2002. I'm now on the Senior side.

    (Hand Salute)
    2nd Lt. John Franco
    Assistant Communications Officer
    CT Minuteman Composite Squadron
    East Haven, CT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go Cadets! What an amazing program. Thank you for stopping by John and best of luck on the drawing!

      Delete
    2. amazing people.. Thank you for the comments.. John with CAP yes.. predates probably you being born lol.. it was 1986 when those were taken.. And I was with SQ 120 Former George AFB California.. They are still around and going strong. Now they are named Voyager Squadron because of our Involvment in that project. Keep inspiring.. Send me pictures and stories I will post them..

      Delete
  10. Hi Darun,
    Apart from all that i need to do put myself in contention for mug,let me know how i can be of help in your endeavor with 27 yrs of aviation experience.
    Wish you success going forward!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A 27 year Aviator. I have at least that many flying from my chair. I am envious. But Hopeful and I have enjoyed the journey here. You can help by passing the word finding my website telling people about it. Sending pictures and stories. I want to do some scholarships but have to sell some product as well. So sporting a cup or tshirt will help me do so. I will also definately post any and all activity we have to help promote and sponsor youth. Thanks for your suppport... BSTW

      Delete
  11. Aloha Darin:
    Good luck on your endeavors! BTW, ever run across a chap named Foote? VMA-214 and he have an infamous past relationship.
    Speaking of infamous, there is yet another dive bar in Mission Viejo named "Mugs Away." Have you heard of it, and do you know what it is famous for?
    I'm hopeful by posting here there will be at least one "mug away" my way? ;-)
    The reviews here (& elsewhere) of Karlene Petitt's book are absolutely gushing; can anyone tell me if she offers an airline discount on the rather steep $29 list price?
    ION, can someone also enlighten me on what, exactly, the "Friday Flyer Club" is? Sounds wonderful, as my flying club is closer to the "24/7/365/Heavy on the Red-Eyes" one...
    Blue Skies, and don't forget to "keep on keeping the houses get smaller..."
    Captain G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Capt. G.. I have not run across a chap named Foote.. VMA-214.. thats pappys squadron was'nt it? You will have to tell me about him and how you are linked. Mugs Away.. Sounds like there will be a Mug of Mine there soon...Road Trip...... Yes I am on chapt 15 of Karlenes book.. great stuff.. 24/7/365 HEAVY ON THE RED-EYES... sounds like a tshirt in the makeing ..Thanks for the support. Let your friends know of the website get back to me on facebook twitter or contact through website about your friend foote. BSTW

      Delete
  12. I love that he wanted to bring things to light that the public may not know about. That's awesome! Thank you for sharing his story with us Karlene. He sounds like an excellent person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for your support and kind words Heather...

      BSTW Darin

      Delete
  13. Super inspirational story... What is Darin's plans once he get's his wings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent question! I'll ask him. Thank you for the comment.

      Delete
  14. Paulo... To answer your question. I have found that once I start something I continue learning and doing new things. There may be some different rating in the future. Perhaps and instructor. For sure introducing aviation to kids. An Occasional Hundred Dollar Hamburger. Flights to Airshows. Shorter trips to visit family. An Aid in the workplace. (Real Estate). There is also a company here where I live that does Chase for the Preditor drones. Sounds like a fun time to me. And then there is just a time to fly and leave everything on the ground just you the plane and God..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a fun time. So often we look at this field as work. We forget the passion of flight is more than moving on to the airlines or creating an income. It's about opening doors and sharing experiences.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! If your comment doesn't appear immediately, it will after I land. Enjoy the journey!