Contract Airline Services


"We are the protagonists of our stories called life, and there is no limit to how high we can fly."


PHD. MBA. MHS. Type rated on A350, A330, B777, B747-400, B747-200, B757, B767, B737, B727. International Airline Pilot / Author / Speaker. Dedicated to giving the gift of wings to anyone following their dreams. Supporting Aviation Safety through training, writing, and inspiration. Fighting for Aviation Safety and Airline Employee Advocacy. Safety Culture and SMS change agent.

Friday, September 2, 2011

Friday’s Fabulous Flyer

Xavier Lozano


My mother was a flight attendant for Delta Air Lines for 28 years. Retiring in 2003.”

I love to read aviator’s stories and find the magic in their lives. Yes, everyone does have magic if they listen to their heart, follow their dreams, and do what they love. How can I rewrite the passion and love that flows from Xavier's heart? I can’t. Some people were born to fly, and Xavier is the perfect example.

Please meet Xavier Lozano... One day this young aviator will be your captain.

I've known I have wanted to get into aviation since birth, quite literally! I know this because there is a home video of me when I was very little (must have been several months old), rocking on top of a plastic blow up Delta branded play airplane. I tear up when I watch that video, because I loved that thing so much!

Ever since I could remember my mother and I would fly out of town quite often thanks to her pass privileged. I remember that I was always very excited to go to the airport. I would always dress in my Sunday's best when flying. Everything excited me and fascinated me, and still does about the airline travel experience. I remember walking through the terminal at Houston Intercontinental Airport, down the long narrow hallway that lead to the gates. I remember the lay out of the terminal. I remember the aircraft we flew on was almost always a Boeing 727(classic!), or a Embraer Brazillia, and for our flights to Hawaii, the aircraft I found most fascinating (at the time), the Lockheed L-1011.

To this day, the experience of flight continues to fascinate me. I recall a few months ago, I was on a flight from San Antonio to Atlanta, and we departed during the evening hours-about 8:30 PM, so the sun was setting. As we depart and climb to altitude, I look out the window down to the city below. Down below, is just a beautiful sea of lights. When I look straight out, it’s just blue and violet. And while I'm seeing all this, I just say to my self, "wow. I have to do this for a living". I absolutely love flying.

Leonardo Da Vinci Once said, "For once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward". Nothing more true could have been said. I just absolutely enjoy the sensations of flight. Listening to the noise of the engines, feeling the sensation when your descending, the sound of the landing gear extending and retracting, the sound of the flaps deploying. Flying is just a lovely and fascinating experience.

I took my first flying lesson, in a helicopter, in 2003 or so. However all my lessons after that have been in fixed wing aircraft, Cessna 172/152s. As of right now, I have about 8 hours of flying time. However, I haven't been able to take lessons lately due to financial reasons. But soon, with the help of financial assistance, I will be able to resume flying soon. I plan on earning the necessary ratings to become a commercial pilot.

One bonus anecdote: I was very fortunate enough to visit the Delta Air Lines pilot training center in Atlanta, and "fly" one of their old Boeing 737-200 simulators. That was an experience that I will never forget!

Will Xavier achieve his dreams?

I have no doubt!

Keep that ambition alive Xavier, and you will go far—To the far corners of the earth, soaring upon the jetstream with your future ahead and the sun setting behind your contrail.

Enjoy the Journey!

XOX Karlene

15 comments:

  1. What a perfect story of passion and inspiration for a lifetime career. Stick with it Xavier--you will make it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sail in the same boat.

    http://pilotcharan.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing inspirational story.Yes,i am sure he will achieve:) The reason why he wants to become pilot is fabulous.
    Have a safe trip,Karlene san
    Jun

    ReplyDelete
  4. With a heart like that, I have no doubt Xavier will achieve his dreams and so much more! Best of luck to you Xavier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the comment Linda. We all need someone in our lives to say, "stick with it!" He will!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charan, I clicked the link... beautiful plane. Happy flying your lovely ship!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Jun, one day you two will be flying together or passing in the airport and can say hello, with your captain hat's on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather, from a woman with heart... you call it! Thank you so much for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Xavier has the "seasoned" Captain's grin down cold! I need to go and log me some time in front of the mirror. :P

    May you have unlimited Jet-A to fuel your passion for flight! Success is yours, Xavier!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for your kind comments and to Karlene for featuring me on her blog !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brian, he does have that Captain's grin. Thanks so much for the comment! Cheers to that J-A fuel and an unlimited and successful future!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Xavier, you are so welcome!! I know you'll go far and hopefully you can fly me one day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you're waiting until you have enough money to fund it. I didn't do that, and now I may have to stop in the middle of my instrument training. Definitely do everything you can to get scholarships, grants, and even student loans if necessary. Flying can be heartbreaking sometimes, but it's too much fun not to do it. (I shouldn't be so negative. I did land behind a 787 today. :D)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhh... Christine, don't be so negative! lol. How many people in their lives get to live the dream you are? Remember... good things take time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need to learn not to post comments after 8 pm. Everything is better during the day when there's sunshine outside...or clouds to fly in. ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! If your comment doesn't appear immediately, it will after I land. Enjoy the journey!