Contract Airline Services


"We are the protagonists of our stories called life, and there is no limit to how high we can fly."


PHD. MBA. MHS. Type rated on A350, A330, B777, B747-400, B747-200, B757, B767, B737, B727. International Airline Pilot / Author / Speaker. Dedicated to giving the gift of wings to anyone following their dreams. Supporting Aviation Safety through training, writing, and inspiration. Fighting for Aviation Safety and Airline Employee Advocacy. Safety Culture and SMS change agent.

Friday, April 4, 2014

Matt Guthmiller

Friday's Fabulous Flyer 

Matt Guthmiller

19 year old Matt is flying around the world solo!

The first week in April our Blogging In Formation team has written about solo flights. And there is no better way to end our series this month than to join the journey of a young man who is planning the trip of a lifetime in his solo flight around the world! Matt tells me, “Fewer people have flown solo around the world than have been to space.”


“You don’t have to be old to achieve huge endeavors.”

-Matt Guthmiller


Matt is a freshman at MIT and this May he is embarking on a mission to become the youngest person to fly solo around the world. He is flying a 1981 A36 Bonanza and will cover 28,000 miles, raising money, and giving the proceeds to Code.org

Code.org is a nonprofit organization focused on making computer science education available in K-12 schools. Giving back at such a young age, but more than that... you won't believe what he has already done.
 


Matt said that that flying was something he always wanted to do for as long as he could remember. Growing up he would play with flight simulator games and his favorite place to eat was at the airport cafe. His passion for aviation runs deep, but Matt took off another direction for awhile. 

He started his first company in seventh grade at the age of 12 and sold it a few weeks later before moving on to predicting the price of oil via computer analysis, stock analysis with supercomputers, and automated Bitcoin arbitrage. All I can say is wow. He was also a National Merit Scholarship recipient in 2013.



Matt, a 19-year-old from Aberdeen, South Dakota, and currently a freshman at MIT is studying electrical engineering & computer science. And he is preparing for an around the world solo flight! While he loved planes as a little kid, guess what finally got him flying...


Matt Decides to fly! 

"A few summers ago, I got bored one day and realized I could get my private in a few months, so I convinced my parents to let me do a little intro flight.  I think at the time they thought I'd just do this $20 flight and get it out of my system. And now I'm gonna go fly around the world.  I've also since amassed about 500 hours and a commercial certificate with single engine land, single engine sea, instrument, and glider ratings and I'll be adding multi-engine land in a couple weeks.

Last spring I was looking for some ways to expand my flying... how I ended up flying gliders... and I came across an AOPA article about a 21-year-old from Fresno, CA, who made the around the world trip last summer. I immediately just kind of thought "well I could do that," so I started working on it, and here I am."


 Flying Around the World!

Matt is leasing an A36 for this month long trip around the world, and says "it's a wonder to fly." He will be adding a 160 gallon ferry tank, so he'll have about 2800 nm range. He is still working out all the details for sponsorships.


“I’m always looking for new challenges and unique experiences, but this is the biggest challenge I will have conquered.”
 Guthmiller. 

What's next for Matt?

"I don't really know exactly what I want to do after MIT, but ideally I guess it'd basically be a combination of Steve Jobs, Howard Hughes, Elon Musk, and Tony Stark/Iron Man."


There is a lot more info at Limitless-Horizons.org, so please check it out. Follow Matt. Like his Facebook page: Limitless Horizons.  And please share this with everyone you know. We need the world to learn what Matt is doing so we can all support and encourage him. We can be the wind beneath his wings!
There you have it. A brilliant young man taking his love of flying and supporting education. Please wish Matt luck!

Enjoy the Journey
XO Karlene

31 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. And one more kid to worry about.

      Delete
  2. Oh Wow!

    That's the kind of people I like becoming a fan! And his phrase? Very well said.

    Matt, just go ahead. Do it. And the best part: it's for a great cause. Education.

    Keep us updated of your progress. Maybe Karlene could make a space in a column so you could write your experience every flight at every location.

    We need people like him.

    Way to go, Matt!

    Cheers!
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, that's a great idea. He'll have lots of time to write about it while he's flying. Wait... he has to pay attention so he doesn't get lost.

      Delete
  3. Cool! And a great choice of airplane to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very inspiring to follow your flight Matt, wish you the best.
    Blue skies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing Matt all the best! Happy landings always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Capt. I'm wishing him safe and happy landings too!

      Delete
  6. This Tony Stark Wunderkind reminds me of our "Amazing Airlines" kid Aditya Palnitkar. We need to pair these two together and watch them change the world!!

    Best of luck, Matt! I'm donating now!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eric, I think that they will be changing the world. Nice to see young people like Matt and Aditya making a difference.

      Delete
  7. Matt is really setting the bar high. Rob and I are hoping to interview him this morning on Slipstream Radio. I can't wait to hear his story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brent, That's awesome! I'm really looking forward to hearing his interview. Tell him I said to be safe!

      Delete
  8. All the best, Matt! Wishing you an awesome adventure and safe landings all the way:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bnaa for the comment! We're all wishing him that too.

      Delete
  9. All the best, Matt! Wishing you an awesome adventure and safe landings all the way:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wishing Matt the best of luck. You can do anything you set your mind to!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! This is an amazing announcement and Matt definitely has ambition. I say go for it! Just send us a postcard from every country he lands in.. It seems simulators are always were a lot get started young but I am glad that he is well on his way to being a very special pilot!

    And for those who think that one is unable to take a small prop plane international.. Matt will show them. All the best to Matt and I hope that I will hear only good news about his progress not only with this trip, but also his future successes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeremy, I would love to get a postcard from every port. We will all be standing behind him and wishing him the very best in his journey. I think he has great plans for his life.

      Delete
  12. I marvel at what the human spirit can accomplishment, and at such a young age - industrious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We would all like to wish Matt the best of luck with his amazing adventure and of course Safe landings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! We all wishing the same for him.

      Delete
  14. Oh waw.. This is very interesting and exciting... Cool idea Matt have a safe journey. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The sheer guts and determination shown by young Matt,combined with his fascination for all things that fly,add up to one very special young man indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much John. Guts and determination says it all!

      Delete
  16. Prayers for a safe journey!
    Limitless-Horizons... I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miriam, Thank you for sending your prayers... we're all flying with him on this one.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! If your comment doesn't appear immediately, it will after I land. Enjoy the journey!