Contract Airline Services


"We are the protagonists of our stories called life, and there is no limit to how high we can fly."


PHD. MBA. MHS. Type rated on A350, A330, B777, B747-400, B747-200, B757, B767, B737, B727. International Airline Pilot / Author / Speaker. Dedicated to giving the gift of wings to anyone following their dreams. Supporting Aviation Safety through training, writing, and inspiration. Fighting for Aviation Safety and Airline Employee Advocacy. Safety Culture and SMS change agent.

Friday, October 26, 2012

Chris Broyhill:


Friday's Fabulous Flyer


I was recently introduced to a pilot—Chris Broyhill. 
But Chris is not just any pilot…

As a retired Lt. Col of the USAF, he holds a BS in Computer Science, a Masters in National Security, and is currently working on his Ph.D. in Aviation. He is also a graduate of the USAF prestigious Fighter Weapons School. During his military career he had the opportunity to fly both the A-10 and F-16 aircraft, which has paid off in more ways than one. 

 

Chris retired from a 20-year career in the Air Force, but did not quit flying. He also did not join the airlines. Chris is a corporate pilot who has flown a Gulfstream G-IV and Falcon 900EX all over the world. 

He is married, has four kids, four dogs, two cats, and one novel, with two more on the way. He was also just recently selected as the director of a new corporate flight department based in Chicago.

Novel? Oh yes. And a heck of a novel it is.

The Viper Contract

The name and cover may lull you into thinking that only military men might appreciate this novel—but you would be mistaken. I'm neither and I loved it! I picked this book up by recommendation of JRHafer, and was thoroughly impressed. I also found this to be a perfect read for anyone who loves a great story. For those who love aviation, flying, and the power of the airplane... all the better. And those from the Air Force, take a stroll down memory lane.

 

Here’s the deal—

If you’re a woman, you will fall for his protagonist—Colin Pearce. If you’re a man, you’ll understand, respect and appreciate the human touch that goes into this very fascinating character.
The believability in the plot was scary, with hope that this could never happen. But you always wonder, ‘what if.’ 

The Viper contract is a page-turner. As a fellow author I found myself pulled into what was making me want to keep reading, and being sucked into the story. I find it hard to believe that this is a first time novel, but with his extensive education it becomes apparent that he is a master of communication. He can write. For the previous week I have curled up in the bathtub with this book, turning my water cold. My husband (non-pilot) read it in two days.

The flying scenes are incredible. I was able to follow and visualize all the maneuvers, and learned a few fun terms that I would not have known otherwise. The personal touch and the relationships added reality to the drama. This was a great book.

I Highly Recommend The Viper Contract!


While reading, curiosity did get the best of me and I had to ask Chris a few questions.

The power of truth in fiction.



Karlene: How much of the Viper, flying, and Military was true?

Chris: The Viper stuff is all true and accurate. I even got back into the books to ensure I had the terminology, gadgetry, modes, turn rates, radii etc correct. I even mapped out the dog-fights on graph paper to make sure I had those geometrically correct as well. The USAF stuff is part true, part exaggeration.

 

Karlene: I knew it! Well as I told you, I’m kind of crushing on Colin Pearce. So tell me where his character came from?

Chris: To answer the question in the back of your head – how much are Colin Pearce and I alike?  VERY much in some ways, not so much in others.  As you know, once you create a character in a book, he or she does what he or she wants and you, as the author, are along for the ride.  I tell people that CP is who I wish I was in some ways and who I’m glad I never became in others.  He’s a bit darker than I am, more cynical and more suspicious.  If I hadn’t had such great kids, I could have ended up just like he did.

Karlene: Yes, having kids changes you. And for the better. So you flew in the military, and now you fly corporate. Can you tell us how you chose this aviation path?

Chris: I’ve always wanted to fly airplanes. My dad took my brothers and I up in a small airplane when I was little and I was hooked.  I wanted to go to the USAF Academy since 6th grade and initially I wanted to fly airlifters but a backseat ride in an RF-4 when I was a junior changed that.  I flew the OV-10, A-10 and F-16 while I was in the USAF and loved every minute of the flying. I chose corporate aviation because I liked the dynamic nature or it and I’ve never looked back.  


 

Karlene: The Viper Contract was so good. I cannot believe this is your first novel. Absolutely fabulous! Please tell me you have more books in you.

Chris: I do have more books in me. The Cabo Contract, Colin Pearce’s next adventure, is with my publisher.  I’m working on Colin’s third adventure, The Satan Contract, when I can find time to write between PhD classes and work stuff.  (I’ve always been writing too – since I was in high school).

 

Karlene:  Writing, working, and Ph.D., too.  You and I seriously are following parallel paths with aviation, education and writing. So tell me something that nobody knows about you. I promise to only blog about it.

Chris: Something about me no one knows?  Sometimes I’d like to run away from everything and find a quiet place to live in the mountains or on a beach somewhere and just write, write, write.  I feel like I’ve got so many books inside of me and I wonder if I’ll ever get them all out.  

Karlene: I will speak for all of us— that is the fantasy of every writer: “Run away from everything and find a quiet place to live in the mountains or on a beach somewhere and just write, write, write.”

I too have so many books, and so little time.

Thank you so much for gifting the world with your talent, and taking the time to be part of Flight To Success. I know that readers of all kind, will love The Viper Contract.

 
The Man Behind the Talent: Chris Broyhill


If anyone has a question for Chris, please ask away. I’ll keep him coming back to answer your questions.  


Enjoy the Journey ... And a Great Book!

XO  Karlene

13 comments:

  1. Couldn't buy it for my ipad, so I'm waiting for Amazon to deliver it the 20th Century way (donkey cart, I think). Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. The 10th Century is so much better. That way in the gym, or in the tub, when you drop it... it will survive!

      Delete
    2. Book arrived with a very tired looking snail mail. Started reading last night, which resulted in a late evening followed by an early start. Excellent set up!! Now, open the book again or take a nap? Decisions, decisions....

      Delete
    3. Being that I'm sleep deficit... I say nap now! Read fresh. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, that is quite a career, and a great book recommendation. Very impressive. I'm checking into this book, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, it's always an absolute nice surprise to find a first time author's book enjoyable. Imagine the second!

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this interview. It has definitely wet my appetite to purchase his book. The great thing is that even though this is his first novel, I am sure he has many more stories of his expertise that he needs to unleash.

    And yes, I have always been telling people - especially Darby - that I would love to vacate myself to some deserted South Pacific island for 6 months just to be away from everyone/thing so I am able to breathe and think to myself properly to can unleash what I need to write on paper.

    I am seriously looking forward to his novel(s). Many kudos to Chris - he definitely has "The Write Stuff" Have a great weekend everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeremy, Thank you for the great comment. Okay, looks like our Island will be filled with those running away.

      I'm really looking forward to book two! Now it's hard to wait. :)

      See you soon!

      Delete
  4. I can tell you that Chris Broyhill's next book "The Cabo Contract" is even better than "The Viper Contract". I have had the pleasure to read the manuscript for a pre-publish review (statement). I can assure you without letting the ole proverbial "cat out of the bag" by saying: "The Cabo Contract" is a exciting, edgy and a thrilling page turner that you will not be able to put down. Karlene, if you read this one in the tub, believe me, your water will be cold and dried up, before you get out of the tub or want to put this one down. It is just that good! The Cabo Contract is even better than Chris Broyhill's first book.
    JR Hafer, aviation writer.
    JRHaferAviationBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JR., now that is exciting news! And really looking forward to reading it. Thank you very much for introducing me to this fabulous author and his work.

      Delete
  5. I can tell you that Chris Broyhill's next book "The Cabo Contract" is even better than "The Viper Contract". I have had the pleasure to read the manuscript for a pre-publish review (statement). I can assure you without letting the proverbial "cat out of the bag" by saying: "The Cabo Contract" is a exciting, edgy and a thrilling page turner that you will not be able to put down. Karlene, if you read this one in the tub your water will be cold and dried up before you get out or want to put this one down. It is that good! The Cabo Contract is even better than the Chris Broyhill's first book. JR Hafer, aviation writer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely fantastic. The power of Air Force. The influence, his intelligence. Looking forward for the book. Karlene, what a great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alex! I think you would very much enjoy it. And... especially since you are looking that way on a Royal aspect. :)

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! If your comment doesn't appear immediately, it will after I land. Enjoy the journey!