Contract Airline Services


"We are the protagonists of our stories called life, and there is no limit to how high we can fly."


PHD. MBA. MHS. Type rated on A350, A330, B777, B747-400, B747-200, B757, B767, B737, B727. International Airline Pilot / Author / Speaker. Dedicated to giving the gift of wings to anyone following their dreams. Supporting Aviation Safety through training, writing, and inspiration. Fighting for Aviation Safety and Airline Employee Advocacy. Safety Culture and SMS change agent.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Where Is My Plane?

With the search to buy a plane, I thought it would be nostalgic to find my plane. I searched the N-number... N40386... and found its home. Oshkosh of all places! 

Tom Weigt, president of Basler Turbo Conversions, LLC, owns my plane. I contacted Tom, introduced myself and asked him if I could buy back my plane. 



This was his reply:


Morning Karlene:

I have some good news and some not so good for you. The good news is that N40386 was remanufactured into one of our new turbines in 2000.

It was used initially to flight test our fire retardand drop system and soon after that spent 3 years with the USAF Special Operations group at Hurlrburt Field in Florida. Following the USAF tour it was sold to the group Antarctic Logistics, a group that carry people and goods around Antarctica for a 14 nation consortium. It's still doing that today.

So now for the not so good news for you. It's obviously not for sale, and even if it was, it would bring about $4 million, probably a little more than you want to spend. I've attached some photos of it's life as a turbine that will have to suffice for now.

Thanks for asking and good luck to you.........regards.
Tom Weigt 

 $4 Million Dollars?
For an 
AZTEC!

I opened the photos and soon learned why 
my Aztec is now worth $4 million. 







I wrote to Tom and said, "I think my plane had a sex change, as it started life as an Aztec."

He responded with, "I think it's on steroids." 

Either way... my plane is still missing. 

Does anyone know the whereabouts of a Piper Aztec PA 23 250, that once had the tail number N40386?

Now the next question... What airplane should I buy?

I would like 6 seats to carry family. I need a high useful payload to carry books. I would like de-icing, for the occasions in the Pacific Northwest that I need to clear the mountains. The multi-engine would be nice to help future pilots build multi-engine time. And this plane is going to be the star in my children's series. Painted just like the plane in my book... she will fly Aviation Joy to all the children of the US. What do you think I should buy?

Enjoy the Journey!
XO Karlene 

28 comments:

  1. Hmmmmmm. How about a Twin Commander? Depending on model, turbine...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh... that sounds like a good plane. Just searched. A bit pricey. What do you like best about it? Have you flown one?

      Delete
  2. Hi, Karlene!

    Given your specs, it sounds like you need a pressurized Baron 58. If you wanted to drop back to a single, a nice 210 with the known-icing goodies would be a fit.

    I'll be interested in what you wind up with.

    Best,

    Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh... now that might be a good plane. Well, both. But I found a Barron. Tell me why you like that plane. Check this out and let me know what you think. Not sure if this is high for this plane. http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/1369446.html

      Delete
    2. Karlene, that's a nice looking 58P! The P-Baron checks all the boxes you spec'ed out - six seats, KI cert, multi, good payload. I don't know what the "right" price is for one, but that doesn't strike me as too bad. Still, it's not the acquisition, it's the upkeep! You're looking at 30+ GPH (+/- $175/hr for gas) and probably with pressurization, swinging the gear and two engines, $15K annuals. If you fly it 200 hrs/yr it's still a $300/hr machine, not counting cost of capital. If that works for you, go for it!

      If I were in your place, I'd look hard at a KI equipped 210. Probably similar buy-in cost, but quite a bit less on 'care-and-feeding'. You'd give up the multi- experience, and life in the flight levels (unless you found a P210...but I understand those are getting scarce).

      If you get serious, I can fix you up with contact info for a friend who had a P-Baron for a number of years (and liked it - moved up to a KingAir) and/or a friend with a 210 (unfortunately not KI). Let me know.

      Frank

      Delete
    3. Thank you for the update Frank. I'm thinking those prices my plane would need a hangar. And I've been searching. There is nothing anywhere. Well... one up in Arlington. Quite the trek for me and definitely added to the expense. I might have to downscale a bit. Start out small.

      Delete
  3. Karlene,

    Being that you've owned an airplane before I don't need to give you all the warnings about ownership haha. You have quite a mission here though! I'll think about it and get back to you, a few things come to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... I've been warned. lol. Thank you so much for your help! I will need it. What do you think about a Baron?

      Delete
  4. How about a P68? http://vulcanair.com/page-view.php?pagename=P68CGeneralInfo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked up that plane. Gorgeous! My only concern is maintenance in the US, since it's an Italian plane. Looks very interesting for sure!

      Delete
  5. You need two single engine planes. I'll fly the other one. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think a Cessna P337 would be a good fit: six seats, pressurized, great useful load, inexpensive to acquire, no more expensive to maintain than a similar conventional twin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard about a P337. Just did a search. That would be a fun plane! How much do you know about it as far as maintenance? Safety? I'm seeing prices all over the place, too. Would love more information.

      Delete
  7. I have no idea what you should buy but I think you should go for it. This is possibly one of the funnest ideas I've heard of in a long time! And it wouldn't hurt that you could fly down for the weekend to visit. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well... that was my plan! I need a way to come and see you for longer than 30 seconds!!

      Delete
  8. If I were the Hollywood mogul that you are turning out to be. I would do Netjets and sit in the back sipping a cold drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but the goal is to inspire the children.... but that does sound like a lot of fun. Seriously... I'd rather be flying than drinking. Maybe it's my old age settling in.

      Delete
  9. Hi Karlene,
    I checked through our data base (True-Lock/FAA) and came up with N7CB, serial number 27-4802. Registered owner is: Experimental Aircraft, PO Box 3086, Oshkosh, WI 54903.
    I hope this helps.
    Wishing you the best 4th.
    Regards,
    Leslie

    Leslie J. Weinstein
    Manager & Founder
    True-Lock LLC
    4911 Parkwood Street
    Boise, ID 83704
    Phone: 208-375-4846
    Email: leslie@true-lock.com
    Web: http://www.true-lock.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie, Thank you so much!! Now ... we just need to figure out the best plane. Happy 4th!

      Delete
  10. I can tell that a Baron flies like a dream (P or not). One of the better performing twins when only on engine is operating (a contrast from the Az-truck).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good to know! I'm going to stay away from pressurized... so maybe a Baron is the answer. Thanks!

      Delete
  11. I bet you can get some great deals on DC9s from your company! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol... I bet I could! That might be fun. And I could buy parts too. :)

      Delete
  12. Carlos Roberto CastilloAugust 11, 2013 at 6:06 PM

    Also look at Cessna's T310R, and they're cheaper to operate than Barons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm checking that out now!!! Thank you. Cheaper to operate is a great plan. :)

      Delete
  13. obviously the AZTEC didn't turn into a C-47.. checked FAA registration and the old N number 40386 for the aztec must have been changed and put on the old warrior c-47

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously! lol. Yes, that's what we figured out when the he sent the photos. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! If your comment doesn't appear immediately, it will after I land. Enjoy the journey!