Contract Airline Services


"We are the protagonists of our stories called life, and there is no limit to how high we can fly."


PHD. MBA. MHS. Type rated on A350, A330, B777, B747-400, B747-200, B757, B767, B737, B727. International Airline Pilot / Author / Speaker. Dedicated to giving the gift of wings to anyone following their dreams. Supporting Aviation Safety through training, writing, and inspiration. Fighting for Aviation Safety and Airline Employee Advocacy. Safety Culture and SMS change agent.

Monday, May 20, 2013

Today is My Lucky Day

"It's better to be lucky than good...
Unless, of course, you're good and lucky!"

Each year on my birthday I make a commitment to do something for a year. This is more of an exercise in discipline than anything. This commitment is also something good for my health such as eliminating sugar, or exercising daily... so it's all good. This year I decided to be creative and make the commitment that...

 Every Day is Doing to Be My Lucky Day.


So as luck would have it... I passed my recurrent last week. I connected on a flight to Austin to visit my daughter, son-in-law, and got to play with my grandson. I bet on It's my lucky Day in the the Preakness. He got second place, so it appears it was more my lucky day than his. And then scheduling called.


As luck would have it, I was assigned short call at 1400 on Sunday! What a lucky day. I had many options to get home in time to be in position for reserve. And then scheduling called... Again. I was assigned a six-day trip that left Sunday at noon. It appears that I am much luckier than the sick pilot unable to make this excursion from Seattle to Amsterdam and then on down to Mumbai and back.


There was one flight out of town Saturday night and that was Alaska Airlines, 1830 departure.  Thank goodness fish fly. It was my lucky day~ I got a seat. An aisle seat no less. And the crew bought me dinner on the flight. This was certainly my lucky day.



I will be home in time to babysit two of my other grandchildren for the weekend. I'm flying with great pilots, and excellent flight attendants on the worlds best airline. If you think about it, I have the job that thousands of young pilots want. Not only am I lucky...but grateful. I hope to see An during my trip through Amsterdam. Life is good. And my lucky days continue.

Today is definitely my lucky day. Which made me ponder... 

Do we make luck happen, or is luck some cosmic force that falls upon us?  Do we have a little bit of control over an attitude that creates success, or are successful people just lucky? 

I have always believed that Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. But maybe there is a little bit of attitude thrown into the mix. Is it possible to believe that this is my lucky day and make it so? Time will tell, but so far... everyday has been my lucky day.  Maybe you could make it yours too. 

Enjoy the Journey!
XO Karlene

22 comments:

  1. A good read...as always!

    "I have always believed that Luck is where preparation meets opportunity."

    ...I couldn't agree more. Also, while I hope you enjoy a long lucky streak, passing recurrent probably had much more to do with skill and preparation. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh... I guess I should say... I made this proclamation on May 4th... the real birthday. :)

      For those who are not prepared...they always have a way of believing success of others was pure luck. But as we both know... it was. Preparation and opportunity!

      Delete
  2. It's your birthday, too?! Happy birthday!

    My own annual birthday tradition will be taking place this evening - a flight in the Cub that I took my first lesson in on my birthday in 2008. We fly the exact same plane every year on May 20th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!!! What a fantastic way to celebrate. My birthday was actually May 4th. So I've been lucky for a couple weeks now. Please take pictures and email them to me. Karlene.Petitt@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. Luck seems to find people with a certain attitude. I echo Brad's comments also. It certainly was a great read.

    Happy Birthday

    Justin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Justin! Actually... May 4 was the day. So I have been having a few lucky days already...and more to come! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  4. Karlene.. I must say that today was my lucky day as I was able to wake up this morning alive and breathing. Not only that but to celebrate a new day as if I was born anew and ready to create those opportunities. Our hard work is a testament of the outcome of a "luck"y day.

    Jeremy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeremy, Essentially, every day is your birthday. I love this. Thanks for the great attitude and positivity you always send my way! I love it, and need it!

      Delete
  5. great reading your blog!! here in South Africa we are lucky and blessed just to live through another day and night without being highjackrd,murdered at home or elsewhere or our woman and girls raped. its got very serious here. nothing gets reported and police etc are corrupt .education and healthcare in a sad state. so yes we are lucky to see another day in Africa. stay safe (lucky) and blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ronnie, I wish every single day to be your lucky day. Sometimes we in the rest of the world that don't face those crisis take our lives for granted. Be safe! Maybe you can be the change that Africa needs. Happy Lucky Day!

      Delete
  6. Today was my lucky day, because a certain airline captain, known as @capnaux was on a layover in Detroit, and I was able to have lunch with him today, and talk about all things aviation! It just happened to coincide with a well-planned day off from work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken, This was a super awesome day!!! How much fun. I hope you gave him a hug for me. Wait... that might not have been appropriate. :) Isn't that the best way to spend a day. I can hardly wait to meet him on day myself!

      Delete
  7. A wonderful post, Karlene. There, and in the comments, I think you nailed it. IMO, "luck' seems to be the sum of opportunity and availability. Many of us have opportunities, but they become "Lucky" events only when we scream, "Heck yes! I CAN do that." As one slightly older than your tender years, I'm still learning the great benefits of saying "Yes," a lot more often. Again, I think you've got it nailed. Trivial aside question: During your off-duty travels to visit family etc., but possibly subject to a reserve duty call, do yo travel with your full working kit, uniforms, pilot bag etc., or do you have them stashed at your official base? Managing just the laundry for a week-long short call assignment could be a challenge if not well organized. And so nice that you can pop in to visit kids and especially the grand kids when heading to/from someplace else. Best wishes for more 'luck.' I think you earn yours. -C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi C, Yes... it is saying yes to those opportunities for sure! Then we manifest that luck. The other question...

      If I am visiting my daughter close to reserve days, which happens often... I bring my bag and enough clothes in the event I get an assignment to deadhead to Atlanta or LAX. That way I can just go direct.

      But I'm so close to the airport it makes it work nice for me. I had a 12 hour layover at my home this time. Just enough time to sleep... do laundry and organize.

      Morale of this story... it takes a ton of organization to be organized. Always have a backup plan.

      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  8. Show off! xD LOL Awesome! I think your lucky day commitment is a brilliant idea! Lucky day to think about this!

    We all need to make the best effort in each day. And it is really like you said before... Not thinking too much and if we have to do it then just do it without caring how much runway we left.

    Bookmarked post. I love it!


    Have a nice trip!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex! Yes... bookmark to remember that each day we have a choice. To make it good... or not. There will always be problems in life. But it's how we look at them. All about perspective. Fascinating science with the power of belief and the mindset.
      Have a brilliant ... and very lucky... day!

      Delete
  9. Glad that you're having a great "lucky streak!" That's never a bad thing.

    Hope flying has been treating you well and you've been enjoying your office view of the world :)

    Thanks for posting,
    -Swayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Swayne! Yes...enjoying the view of the world from my office. It's a great job! And one day you will be there too. That will be another lucky day for you. Always hold that thought. Today is your lucky day!!!

      Delete
  10. I have always believed that luck is when hard work meets opportunity.

    Or maybe it is when good things happen out of the blue. I am not sure but like you I consider myself lucky.

    Maybe blessed beyond imagination would be a better way to describe it.

    Happy Birthday and best of continued luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rob! This has been fun... another birthday. But I refuse to get older today. :) Which was actually on May 4... but I'm still celebrating.

      It's going to be a very lucky year! I like this... "blessed beyond belief" could be another description of lucky. And yet...isn't that a belief too? Keep that thought processes going just the way you do. You're awesome and today will be your lucky day!

      Delete
  11. "Where preparation meets opportunity", I love that! I'm so glad both have come together for you lately. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! If your comment doesn't appear immediately, it will after I land. Enjoy the journey!