How do you enter a holding pattern?
The night before the check Bo Corby taught me how to do this amazing feat, without the use of my thumbs. Most pilots were sticking their thumbs up like painting a masterpiece... angling left, then right, or drawing pictures to figure out how to enter.
How do we enter a holding pattern in the A330?
Answer: With a pointer finger and partial gray matter.
I suppose you could use your thumb, but it wouldn't be as graceful as using a pointer finger. Unless of course you're feeling a bit overwhelmed, overworked, or perhaps you could use the finger of your choice.
The point is, we now enter the holding pattern in the MCDU with a press of a button, or two, and the plane does all the work.
Easy as 1, 2, 3...
- Select lateral Nav (left side) on the location you want to hold over. (Or if you were to hold present position, 1 left is where you will start.)
- If a holding pattern exists, cross check the hold displayed in the MCDU with the holding pattern on your chart. Edit as necessary.
- Select 6R ... INSERT*
- If no hold exists... default values: Current inbound course to the fix. Right turns. 1.5 minute legs above 14, 000 feet and 1 minute legs below 14,000 feet.
- We have the ability to edit direction of turn, time, distance, and the course, as necessary.
- If using managed speed, airspeed will be that for the current flap configuration (Green dot, S or F)
- If approaching the holding pattern in "selected" speed, and more than 5 knots different from computed hold speed, "SET HOLD SPEED" will be displayed on the PFD.
- LAST EXIT values for UTC and FUEL
- Latest time to exit the hold.
- Least amount of fuel on board to exit with alternate, reserve, and extra time.
- Prior to entering the hold: Clear the HOLD R or HOLD L waypoint.
- Prior to entering or during the hold, an IMM EXIT prompt is displayed. Immediate exit.
- At anytime when you proceed direct to a waypoint.
- Prior to entering hold: Plane continues on flight plan.
- While in hold: Flight returns immediately to holding fix, then continues on flight plan. Holding pattern is erased after crossing fix.
- When selected, IMM is replaced with Resume hold prompt.