A very short layover and another departure out of Amsterdam. But today, I was the DHing crewmember.
And as promised... the key to demystifying pilot language.
DH: Deadhead (DHing: Deadheading)
- The act of giving up our seat with a view to be the food and movie critic in Business Class…. For me a great time to catch up on my reading and writing.
- Nice duty at full pay.
- The art of moving a pilot from one city to the next, to pick up somebody else’s trip.
- The ability to avoid Detroit if at all possible.
PM: Pilot Monitoring
- Pilot doing all the work while the other pilot does the takeoff and landing.
PF: Pilot Flying
- Pilot having all the fun… while the other pilot works the radios.
Junior FO: Me!
- The person who will do the walk around in the rain, hail and snow.
- Exterior preflight, sometimes known as ‘kicking the tires.’ This procedure is done differently by women. We no longer kick tires… we touch them to see how they’re feeling. ;)
- The act of working on my novel, exercising, reading, sleeping and waiting for the phone call to fly.
- A four and a half hour flight from Seattle, 3 time zones, and my home away from home until December!
- The resting place of NWA, and the new Delta north training center.
ACC: Accra Ghana
- West Africa, home of malaria and lockdown in the hotel.
- Fountains, romance and red wine.
- Canals, museums, and anything goes.
- Ancient ruins filled with inspiration and magic.
- There is no place like home!