Contract Airline Services


"We are the protagonists of our stories called life, and there is no limit to how high we can fly."


PHD. MBA. MHS. Type rated on A350, A330, B777, B747-400, B747-200, B757, B767, B737, B727. International Airline Pilot / Author / Speaker. Dedicated to giving the gift of wings to anyone following their dreams. Supporting Aviation Safety through training, writing, and inspiration. Fighting for Aviation Safety and Airline Employee Advocacy. Safety Culture and SMS change agent.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Aviation History...



"Howard Hughes’s H-4 Hercules is the largest flying boat ever built, and has the largest wingspan of any aircraft in history. Due to wartime restrictions on using aluminum, the aircraft was built out of wood, earning it the nickname “Spruce Goose” (even though it was actually made out of birch). It had 8 engines, each producing 3000 horsepower. It only flew one time, for about a mile and at about 70 feet above the water, on November 2, 1947."

How well do you remember 1947? 


Enjoy the Journey!
XO Karlene

Remember... these are the good ole days!

8 comments:

  1. Not at all, I was born in 1958. But next time I'm in Portland OR, I'll take the short road trip to see the "Spruce Goose".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me... 62. But my hubby was there. And yes... go see the Goose! Amazing.

      Delete
  2. I love the spruce goose. What a neat airplane concept for that era. I still haven't gotten a chance to go see it in Oregon, I'll have to get down there sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you have to go see her. It's amazing. And a huge part of history. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  3. I remember it as well as any four year-old would. While they were flying that ill-fated flight, we were watching - and hearing and hearing and hearing - B-36es flying around these parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow... but you remember~ I think more of us remember those 4 year old memories than anything. They make a great impression.

      Delete
  4. 1947...

    I don't remember. I just remember bits from 1996, 1998 and 1999. After that, I remember just like it was from yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha... if anyone could remember... I thought it would be you. :)

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! If your comment doesn't appear immediately, it will after I land. Enjoy the journey!