(As wished for by an AME)
The beginning of a new year is often a time for making (and breaking) resolutions. While scanning the internet, I discovered the following resolution on a top-secret, AME chat board somewhere in cyberspace (yeah, right), and I'm sharing it now with the aviation community as a way to help build camaraderie between aviators and AME's. After all, pilots need AME's and AME's need pilots.
So if you will please say the following after me:
“I, (enter your name here), will work together with my AME to facilitate my medical certification in the most expedient manner possible. This will include filling out my FAA 8500-8 medical form online least 24 hours prior to my appointment.
- I will arrive on time and bring all sets of glasses necessary to pass my vision testing.
- I will be forthcoming with all necessary paperwork and doctor’s notes my AME will need to process my certification.
- If I have questions regarding issues which could result in possibly delaying my certification.
- I will contact my AME prior to my appointment to resolve these concerns rather than hoping they will vanish into thin air.
- Furthermore, I understand my AME will do everything in his power to assist with my certification and I will (begrudgingly) understand if something unexpected arises delaying the process.
- I will know my AME feels my pain and wishes his hands were not restricted by the regulations.
- After my AME has waved his magic wand and pronounced my verdict, I will (begrudgingly) pay his fee, without asking for discounts and I will promote his job-saving skills to my peers.
Together we can make it a win-win relationship by helping each other. Fly safe and fly healthy, my dear aviator friends, and Happy New Year!
To your good health, happiness and certification!
Please leave Dr. Larry a message that you will fulfill his New Year's wish!
"I promise Dr. Larry...but what about that pilot discount?"
Enjoy the Journey!XOX Karlene