Contract Airline Services


"We are the protagonists of our stories called life, and there is no limit to how high we can fly."


PHD. MBA. MHS. Type rated on A350, A330, B777, B747-400, B747-200, B757, B767, B737, B727. International Airline Pilot / Author / Speaker. Dedicated to giving the gift of wings to anyone following their dreams. Supporting Aviation Safety through training, writing, and inspiration. Fighting for Aviation Safety and Airline Employee Advocacy. Safety Culture and SMS change agent.

Friday, May 25, 2018

David Streif

Friday Fabulous Flyer

David Streif 

"My name is David Streif and I’m currently an airline pilot for Lufthansa German Airlines flying the Boeing 747-400 and 747-8. I started flying in Canada at the age of 15 and have always been very passionate about general aviation. Getting my Private Pilot License opened up a whole new world to me and I knew that I desperately wanted to become an airline pilot. I completed my professional pilot training with Lufthansa Flight Training in Germany and Phoenix, AZ. 


While flying the Airbus A320 I spent many of my vacations back in Canada and was always looking to get back into a Cessna 172. In 2011, a friend introduced me to seaplane flying. I was immediately hooked and got my seaplane rating the following year. Flying on floats opens up many more possibilities, especially in Canada (millions of lakes). It can be very challenging but so rewarding when you land on a lake, pull up to a beach, turn off the engine and find yourself in the remote wilderness when you just took off in the city an hour ago. 


I'm now looking for general aviation pilots 
to take part in a survey:


In 2015 I started a Master of Science program in Air Safety Management at City, University of London. I am currently working on my Master of Science thesis titled 

“Evidence-Based Recurrent Training for General Aviation Pilots -

How can new technology and insights from airline training help to modernize general aviation pilot training?”

Since general aviation has remained of great interest to me I wanted to make it the focus of my thesis. GA has seen the introduction of advanced technologies in its cockpits. A few years back I got a ride-along in a new Cirrus SR22 and was amazed to see that it was far better equipped than the Airbus A320 I was flying at the time. It had XM weather, full glass displays, terrain awareness etc. 

Training of general aviation pilots, however, has been largely the same for the last few decades with a recurrent training requirement of one check flight every two years. New technologies are conquering the general aviation sector with some new cockpits better equipped than most airliners. How can this leap in technology be best used to achieve a similar leap in training? What are the capabilities and limitations of new technologies in evaluating a general aviation pilot’s performance and offering insights into areas that need improvement? Which training methods are then the most suitable and how can a pilot be motivated to invest time and money in technology-supported training?

In addition to an extensive literature review and expert interviews I am looking for general aviation pilots to take part in a survey. The more GA pilots take part in the survey the more accurate my thesis conclusions and recommendations become. The survey should only take about seven minutes to complete."

If you are GA Pilot, 
Please take seven minutes
to take this survey: 


Thank you for caring about 
General Aviation! 

Enjoy the Journey
XO Karlene

2 comments:

  1. David has an interesting story. Can a SEAPLANE rating help a Captain who suddenly has to do a SULLY IN THE HUDSON landing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan, I definitely think a Seaplane rating could help. Could be as simple as the ability to judge currents, and no fear of landing on water. But I do believe that the more training we have in any airplane helps with skills. I've noticed that the private plane and glider pilots were the best Airbus pilots. Not afraid to fly, beyond managing the aircraft.
      Thanks for your comment!!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! If your comment doesn't appear immediately, it will after I land. Enjoy the journey!