Contract Airline Services


"We are the protagonists of our stories called life, and there is no limit to how high we can fly."


PHD. MBA. MHS. Type rated on A350, A330, B777, B747-400, B747-200, B757, B767, B737, B727. International Airline Pilot / Author / Speaker. Dedicated to giving the gift of wings to anyone following their dreams. Supporting Aviation Safety through training, writing, and inspiration. Fighting for Aviation Safety and Airline Employee Advocacy. Safety Culture and SMS change agent.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Flight Instructor Power

"I think pilots with a goal of making flight a career 
should definitely at some point flight instruct." 

June 2010, we met a high school student, Julia Bury, with dreams and aspirations of becoming a pilot. She was off to college!

August 2011, we celebrated Julia's first year at ERAU.

Now Julia is a Flight Instructor! 



What does it feel like to be a flight instructor?

Julia says... 

"I really enjoy it, and I am learning more and more in experience and knowledge every time I have an activity with a student.  I also gain a different view as a student...since I am still doing my multi commercial add-on, it helps a lot to know both sides.  I also appreciate the instructor position and all of my former instructors SO much more after seeing how challenging it can be sometimes as far as being patient, and trying to describe things in multiple ways to allow students to understand what you mean.  I very much enjoy it, and it is different every activity/flight, and every student I have worked with.  I definitely feel like it is already enhancing my flying ability and knowledge just from a few months.  I think pilots with a goal of making flight a career should definitely at some point flight instruct." 

Thank you Julia! And there we have it... flight instructing is more than just building flight hours, it's all about gaining the skills necessary for your aviation career. 

Enjoy the Journey!

XO Karlene

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Julia! I taught for several years (1400hrs of dual given) and really enjoyed it. Sometimes it was a grind, but I made sure that was never transmitted to my students.

    You really do learn a lot as an IP. Those skills, like communication, translate well to moving on to flying 2 pilot airplanes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your reply Brent. 1400 hours. Wow. And I think with all of life, we have to keep that grind inside and not express it to our students (or kids) or coworkers. But the skills we can learn are awesome. I know that my many years in the simulators teaching taught me many things.

      Delete
  2. I agree. Having instructed this past 18 months, I've learned a lot - not just how to teach, but how to fly better myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D.B. You make a great point. The process does make the teacher better. I always learned from my students. Thank you so much for the comment.

      Delete
  3. I must say that I see myself as a CSI. not only to get hours and money for the ATP, but also because I have built up patience through what I've been doing for the past 10+ years. Julia is an example of this determination and her message truly inspires me with anticipation of obtaining CFI and sharing my love for aviation with others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeremy, you will be an excellent teacher! Your patience is a virtue, and will take you far. I think what you do is amazing. And those skills will be an asset flying. One day you can teach me how to fly a Cessna again!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! If your comment doesn't appear immediately, it will after I land. Enjoy the journey!