Contract Airline Services


"We are the protagonists of our stories called life, and there is no limit to how high we can fly."


PHD. MBA. MHS. Type rated on A350, A330, B777, B747-400, B747-200, B757, B767, B737, B727. International Airline Pilot / Author / Speaker. Dedicated to giving the gift of wings to anyone following their dreams. Supporting Aviation Safety through training, writing, and inspiration. Fighting for Aviation Safety and Airline Employee Advocacy. Safety Culture and SMS change agent.

Monday, May 24, 2010

Feed A Pilot!

 Pilots in training have the most unfavorable dining options available… second only to those pilots who are flying the plane... and this is when nutrition is the most important. Hotel and airplane food for weeks on end does not make a healthy mind.

During training, studying, and aircraft operation we need the best nutrition possible! Our diet impacts our brain and the function of our memory. Without proper nutrition, we’re battling a war we cannot win.

Beware…Diets to lose weight could negatively impact your brain by starving it from important nutrients. Words of Wisdom: Don’t diet while you study.


Not to worry! There are food choices and supplements that can help. The following mealtime brain foods below can jump start that memory:

  • Aged Garlic: Improves spatial memory, fights age-related memory loss.
  • Sugar/Glucose: Improves short term memory. Maybe that’s why we can’t remember how many pieces of chocolate we just ate.
  • Pasta: The carbohydrates stimulate production of serotonin that fuels learning.
  • Fish and Olive Oil: Unsaturated fats strengthen general learning abilities
  • Egg yolks and organ meats: Citicoline enhances verbal memory
  • Apples, Pears, Beans and Peas: Enhances alertness for learning
  • Whole wheat and Nuts: The magnesium enhances alertness and general learning
  • Shellfish, beans, peas, and dark turkey meat: The zinc aids in short term recall, work and visual memory.
  • Whole grains, oatmeal, wheat germ, oysters and liver: B1 increases attention and reaction time.
  • Wheat germ, sunflower seeds, yeast, tuna, and liver: B6 Improves working memory
  • Clams, oysters, kidneys, and liver: B12 improves concentration, mental alertness and learning.
  • Oranges, strawberries, red peppers, leafy green vegetables, and blueberries: Vitamin C improves general memory.


Eat Right! Study hard! Fly Smart!
Tomorrow… Exercise and the mind.

~Karlene

8 comments:

  1. Studying for my exams this year will be tasty LOL :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...you're going to be rested, well fed, with an excellent memory! Pilot... I think you've got it made! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last month of training has been impossible! I'm a healthy eater but being study in Miami with nothing but a mini-fridge and a microwave...let's just say I've eaten a lot of Cuban sandwiches. They're not the healthiest thing in the world. I'm looking forward to getting to cook again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking for new ways to enhance my workout routine and I think you hit on what I really need to do, improve the way I eat! I eat foods that are low in fat but most of them are processed which isn't good. You've inspired me to start eating healthier dishes and add more vegies to my meals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mikel, I know exactly what you mean! I too live for 5 weeks with a microwave and mini-fridge. And... microwaves mess up the food. Another story....They change the health benefits. So I lived on oatmeal! Missed my healthy cooking too! Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad I could help Heather. Processed foods are really bad. Our bodies don't know how to digest most of the chemicals. Just imagine if you put bad gas and oil in your car, not sure it would last very long.
    The hard part is eating right takes time. And our lifestyles get so busy... we eat on the run. Thanks so much for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a Canadian bush pilot currently studying for the "dreaded" ATPL's. I found this site very informative. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you bush pilot... Good luck on your ticket. You'll do great!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! If your comment doesn't appear immediately, it will after I land. Enjoy the journey!