Contract Airline Services


"We are the protagonists of our stories called life, and there is no limit to how high we can fly."


PHD. MBA. MHS. Type rated on A350, A330, B777, B747-400, B747-200, B757, B767, B737, B727. International Airline Pilot / Author / Speaker. Dedicated to giving the gift of wings to anyone following their dreams. Supporting Aviation Safety through training, writing, and inspiration. Fighting for Aviation Safety and Airline Employee Advocacy. Safety Culture and SMS change agent.

Monday, October 13, 2014

Aviation. Inspiration. Life.

Week 6 has is underway....

Last week began in Bend Oregon  babysitting two little ones. While we were at the Black Bear diner eating chocolate chip pancakes we received a call that my mother in law passed away. She would have celebrated her 101st birthday in November. It's been 47 years since her husband had passed. It's time for their reunion. We are so sad for her passing, but it was time. We will love and miss you Grandma Annie. That day we dropped the kids off at school and hiked up Pilot Butte mountain.

In loving memory of Anna May Petitt

The week pressed on with great fun. Nature walks and dinners at the park. Thursday I caught an 6:25 flight out of Redmond and worked my way to Austin via Salt Lake City, sitting in the cockpit on both flights. The best thing about jumpseating is meeting great pilots. I didn't get much reading done, but the conversations were interesting. 


Austin was great fun chasing after a 3 year-old and 9 month old crawler while keeping up on schoolwork. Late nights of reading and some very early mornings. Sunday arrived, and by evening it was time to work my way home. 

I got a great seat on Alaska Airlines. They even announced a "famous author" was on board. "Me." Ha. Ha. Then they announced the happy 60th birthday of a man across the aisle. I was sitting by his wife, so I autographed a copy of Flight For Control for him and we passed it over. Sunday night found me horizontal in my bed before midnight my time zone.


Today is a day of reserve... short call at 1400. YAY!! I'm hoping I can sit reserve the entire week without the phone ringing. I've got two major papers to write and 4 chapters, and a couple conference calls. This morning I meditated. Lifted weights. Watched a great NexGen video... that I will post tomorrow (Oct. 14).

But the highlight of my morning was the email I'm sharing below as I am going to shamelessly market my novels every chance I get. :)

"Hi Karlene - My bride, Terry *** flew with you awhile back and scored a copy of Flight For Control for me.  We’re in the south of France (her Chairman’s Club award trip) on a rainy day and I just finished your book.  What a fun, thought provoking read.  The plot twists kept me engaged and the characters were wonderful.  You put me through the wringer in the final chapters and the very end sent me for a Kleenex (yeah, that’s right, leaving me feeling like a wimp ;-).  The acknowledgements and discussion questions were a nice touch.  I know what’s on my Christmas list. Thanks for a story well told, Bill ***"
The journey continues... Off to the gym for a two hour elliptical session and read my human factors book! 

XOX Karlene 

Thank you so much for reading and sharing my novels Flight For Control and Flight For Safety with your friends. If you haven't left a comment on Amazon, please do so. It helps so very much! 

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for your loss. At times like these we really do think about how to embrace our own lives to the fullest, as you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer, and we were thrown into a whirlwind of a week... being with the little ones puts life in perspective. Thank you so much for the comment!

      Delete
  2. I’m sorry about your mother in law, Karlene. I know how hard it can be sometimes. I hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Libor, Thank you so very much. Everyone is doing great...even my Mother in Law. I watch what's happening around the world and it gives me strength to keep pressing forward and reminds me how good life is. Have a wonderful day!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! If your comment doesn't appear immediately, it will after I land. Enjoy the journey!