Contract Airline Services


"We are the protagonists of our stories called life, and there is no limit to how high we can fly."


PHD. MBA. MHS. Type rated on A350, A330, B777, B747-400, B747-200, B757, B767, B737, B727. International Airline Pilot / Author / Speaker. Dedicated to giving the gift of wings to anyone following their dreams. Supporting Aviation Safety through training, writing, and inspiration. Fighting for Aviation Safety and Airline Employee Advocacy. Safety Culture and SMS change agent.

Monday, December 8, 2014

Gift Buying: Reducing Holiday Stress

Finding The Perfect Gift

17 Day’s Till Christmas…and one of the most stressful events can be shopping. Crowds. Noise. No parking. What should I buy? What do they have? What do they want? And it’s not for one, but for many on your list.

Has shopping gotten out of hand during the holidays? We buy stuff, to give stuff and it might not be the right stuff. Don’t get my wrong—with 3 daughters, and 7 grandkids I have done my part to support the economy. But what makes the holiday special for me is when I can find that perfect gift that has meaning. It’s not about the price, it’s about the meaning behind the gift. And last week I received the perfect gift—a letter.


A couple weeks ago I was interviewed by a young lady, about my life and career. She was doing a report on Amelia Earhart, and women in aviation. Not only did I receive a thank-you card from her parents, but Sydney took the time to write me the most beautiful hand-written, heart-felt letter. What a gift! She gave me her time, shared her graciousness, and brought a smile to my face. She reminded me how precious and personal this type of communication is.

What if we all took time to write a letter to those we love when we don't know what to give them. Instead of buying stuff they don’t need, with money we don't have, we take a few moments and tell them we care during the most special time of year, in the most special way possible.

Send the gift of love in a letter. For the price of a sheet of paper, an envelope and a stamp, you can create the perfect gift, with the most meaning for the holiday season.


Now… if you feel compelled to send a gift, you can always send autographed copies of Flight For Control and Flight For Safety. I’m gift-wrapping for the season.
What are your favorite gifts?

New tradition at my house. We are giving our grandkids the gift of experience. Whatever they want to try for the New Year, swimming, piano, gymnastics, take a foreign language, we are enabling them to try. I suspect the year they all decide to take flying lessons at the same time they might bankrupt me. But what a gift that would be!

Thank you all for my gift, by reading my books, and for your comments that continue to flow on Amazon!  

Enjoy the Journey!
XO Karlene

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post, Karlene. Thank you.
    In spite (or despite) the usual celebratory and holiday gift-giving requirements, I think that I am my extended family have found a New and Improved way to love each other though gifts:
    First, we refuse to be Red and Green, calendar-bound gift giving victims of the Retail Marketplace. No!
    As a truly wonderful substitute, we gift each other a truly random times, celebrating nothing but our love, and even then, offering only those gifts that are appropriate, useful, needed, wanted or unique to the individual. We've done this for 40+ years. I assure, it works just fine. The youngest members of our clan, perhaps feeling entitled to 'presents' at particular times, receive many more over the course of a year and soon come to understand them as great, welcome surprises. The benefits are overwhelming! There is NO buying this or that because it is the season's Must Have (or the worst rip-off.). We avoid the December Shopping Crunch entirely, and then find, buy and send much better choices during the other eleven months. The youngsters (and young adults) quickly learn to appreciate gifts a bit more, realize that most 'stuff' was selected especially for them and quickly warm to the idea. While not every family can execute this degree of retraining for children, we've done just fine. Perhaps counter-normal, we've never claimed to me normal - and, when given, our gifts seem to be far more appreciated. The practice will not change.
    Happy Holiday, however you do it, and of course, with SEVEN grand kids, G'ma is always welcome (or needed). Hugs, -Craig

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this Craig, I too have tried to only gift what was needed, useful and appropriate to the person. Except for the little ones...it's been playtime. So glad you have this practice, as it makes December so much more fun to celebrate the month and not shopping. Happy Holidays!! I hope that you have a wonderful Christmas with much health and happiness in the new year.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful post, Karlene. Thank you.
    In spite (or despite) the usual celebratory and holiday gift-giving requirements, I think that I am my extended family have found a New and Improved way to love each other though gifts:
    First, we refuse to be Red and Green, calendar-bound gift giving victims of the Retail Marketplace. No!
    As a truly wonderful substitute, we gift each other a truly random times, celebrating nothing but our love, and even then, offering only those gifts that are appropriate, useful, needed, wanted or unique to the individual. We've done this for 40+ years. I assure, it works just fine. The youngest members of our clan, perhaps feeling entitled to 'presents' at particular times, receive many more over the course of a year and soon come to understand them as great, welcome surprises. The benefits are overwhelming! There is NO buying this or that because it is the season's Must Have (or the worst rip-off.). We avoid the December Shopping Crunch entirely, and then find, buy and send much better choices during the other eleven months. The youngsters (and young adults) quickly learn to appreciate gifts a bit more, realize that most 'stuff' was selected especially for them and quickly warm to the idea. While not every family can execute this degree of retraining for children, we've done just fine. Perhaps counter-normal, we've never claimed to me normal - and, when given, our gifts seem to be far more appreciated. The practice will not change.
    Happy Holiday, however you do it, and of course, with SEVEN grand kids, G'ma is always welcome (or needed). Hugs, -Craig

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! If your comment doesn't appear immediately, it will after I land. Enjoy the journey!