Contract Airline Services


"We are the protagonists of our stories called life, and there is no limit to how high we can fly."


PHD. MBA. MHS. Type rated on A350, A330, B777, B747-400, B747-200, B757, B767, B737, B727. International Airline Pilot / Author / Speaker. Dedicated to giving the gift of wings to anyone following their dreams. Supporting Aviation Safety through training, writing, and inspiration. Fighting for Aviation Safety and Airline Employee Advocacy. Safety Culture and SMS change agent.

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Turbo Prop to Jet and then...

Captain Upgrade! 


Chet sent me the following message and I decided this would be a great post:

"The last time we spoke you helped me with some tips for the transition from a turboprop to the jet. They helped a lot, and I can't thank you enough.  I'm asking for a few tips once more: we've had a bit of movement here and it looks like command is a possibility in June of next year.  I don't think it wise to wait until then to start preparing, so I was wondering if you could share any tips on what goes into making a good captain.  I'm sure you'll have more than a few golden nuggets! 

Looking forward to your insights!"
 
What Makes a Good Captain?

I realized that I had a similar question a few years ago, and wrote the How to Be a Captain post. The comments were great! Drop by there, but jump back here to leave Chet a comment. 
Personally, I think we can learn how to be good captain's by assessing much of what we like about other captain's, as well as what we don't like. My favorite captains never felt like they had to be heroes. They knew that safety came first despite other pressures. Being a great captain is about being a great leader, listening to others, and yet being decisive. 
Learn as much about the operation and your aircraft as possible, but be  humble if you don't remember something. Instilling confidence in others has nothing to do with knowing it all, but everything to do with not blindly leading your crew down the wrong path because you were afraid to be vulnerable. 
Continue to learn as much as you can about the aircraft and operation, and start reading leadership books. A sense of humor is great to, as when the chips are down, lightening the mood without being excessive, will help relieve tension. Time management is important too. Don't rush, and work with people instead of barking orders. 
Chet, I have no doubt you will make a great captain. 

Comments are much appreciated! 
Tell Chet what you think! 
Enjoy the Journey
XO Karlene 

Author of:
I am Awesome. The ABCs of me. 



 Flight For Sanity coming soon....
 Catch up on the series so you will be ready!

Motivation and Children too! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! If your comment doesn't appear immediately, it will after I land. Enjoy the journey!