Contract Airline Services


"We are the protagonists of our stories called life, and there is no limit to how high we can fly."


PHD. MBA. MHS. Type rated on A350, A330, B777, B747-400, B747-200, B757, B767, B737, B727. International Airline Pilot / Author / Speaker. Dedicated to giving the gift of wings to anyone following their dreams. Supporting Aviation Safety through training, writing, and inspiration. Fighting for Aviation Safety and Airline Employee Advocacy. Safety Culture and SMS change agent.

Monday, June 23, 2014

Road Trip

What do you Bring? 


For a pilot, I spend a lot of time driving. At least once a month I'm on a road trip between Bend and Seattle. The drive home last night took 5 hours as I had a plane to catch... so more or less I flew down the freeway. Then an occasional California trip. I even drove from Anchorage to Seattle once.

When my friend Emma asked me if I wanted to be part of their event to share information about her company, RelayRides, I said, "Why not!"

So here's the deal. RelayRides is peer to peer car rental company. The prices are great if you want to rent from an individual instead of a car rental agency. But then if you want to make a little money on your car you can rent it to others. They carry a million dollar insurance policy to protect everyone. I'm thinking this is an interesting concept for everyone.


If you don't want to put the miles on your car, and don't want to pay the expense of a rental agency. I say... why not? Anyway... back to the point of the post.

Emma asked me to write about what's essential on my road trip. Amazingly enough, many of the same items I take on my road trip are the same as I take in my flight bag when I fly.

Road Trip Essentials: 
  • Water
  • Starbucks Refreshers
  • Verve (vitamin drink)
  • Snacks: Chocolate almonds, Cherries, fruit. 
  • Sugar free gum and lots of it. 
  • Bathing suit
  • Tennis Shoes
  • Sweatshirt jacket and sweat pants
  • A monkey to help navigate
  • Cell phone 
  • Camera
  • GPS
  • Music
  • Husband
  • Maintenance kit (Duck tape, coolant, oil, tools, jumper cables, flashlight, etc.)
  • Books: Flight For Control and Flight For Safety 


What do you bring on your road trips?

Can you guess which items I take flying too?

Enjoy the Journey...
XO Karlene

Author of Flight For Control and Flight For Safety,
If you haven't read them...it's time!

9 comments:

  1. You really need that A36 Bonanza.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This last drive I thought about that for about 11 hours round trip! Yes... I need one! I was going to wait... but now not so sure if I want to. :)

      Delete
    2. I'm looking now! Okay... what is the best year. Email me details as to the best options? Thanks!

      Delete
    3. I agree with DB. Seems silly for a pilot of your experience to be stuck with such a long recurring drive. And in case it's been a while, you see totally different scenery from 6000 to 10,000 feet from what you see at 40,000.

      Delete
    4. Well, the silly is all about money and responsibility. Which you gave me a great idea about a post. Because... if we do something, we should do it well. Drs kill planes because they are so busy in their other lives the plane comes second. I don't want to be that person. I am very busy. I need to find a way to balance. And I will. Thank you!!!

      Delete
  2. - Water
    - Chips
    - iPod
    - Clothes
    - Fragrance
    - Shoes
    - Accessories
    - Sunglasses
    - Cell phone
    - Mother (driver's licence will take ages to arrive)
    - I'm currently single
    - 4x4 Mitsubishi Montero
    - Sweatshirt
    - Extremely resistant cables
    - I don't have a monkey. I'll take a pinata.
    - Sombrero
    - Tequila
    - Doritos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tequila... I'll be your driver too. With pleasure! I have sunglasses. Forgot about those too.

      Delete
  3. Don't sell that car before I get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will never sell this one. (Despite the peer pressure of our youngest daughter.) This old car is part of our life and we'll never let her go... until she dies. Which hopefully will be never!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! If your comment doesn't appear immediately, it will after I land. Enjoy the journey!