Contract Airline Services


"We are the protagonists of our stories called life, and there is no limit to how high we can fly."


PHD. MBA. MHS. Type rated on A350, A330, B777, B747-400, B747-200, B757, B767, B737, B727. International Airline Pilot / Author / Speaker. Dedicated to giving the gift of wings to anyone following their dreams. Supporting Aviation Safety through training, writing, and inspiration. Fighting for Aviation Safety and Airline Employee Advocacy. Safety Culture and SMS change agent.

Monday, December 16, 2013

How to Achieve Success...

 "The best way to get 1500 hours of flight time...
one hour at a time."


You can achieve the success you desire if you breakdown the challenge into small manageable parts. One step at a time. One flight at a time. If you focus on the 1500 hour requirement you might think it's impossible and never go for it. What about one hour...is that impossible? Of course not. So why not focus on each hour instead? Eventually you will reach your goal. 


How do you write a novel, play a song or paint a picture? One page, one note, and one stroke at a time. Eventually you will reach your goal.

The problem with people not achieving success is they give up too soon, or never start because of their perception that it's too difficult. They look at the goal and think it impossible, instead of looking at each step as a mini goal.

I agree with Tom, in The Imperfect Path, that we must not view our success by how direct our path is...life happens. The trick is to not get discouraged and become frustrated and give up if we get off our path. We must create a new new path toward our goal and get moving again. 
 

Success is not your ability to stay on a preset course. 
Success is the ability to keep moving toward your goal, especially when you get off course!  


You will get off course due to external circumstances. That's life. But not an excuse to give up. Make a new course and get moving again. Focus on the steps along the way. Focus on what's in front of you...one flight at a time, one step at a time...one mogul at a time.


Many years ago I was a very inexperienced skier. Somehow I ended up on top of a mountain with moguls I had never experienced before. (Not to mention my fear of heights.) When I looked at the bottom of the hill (my goal), I became physically shaken. 

"How can I get down this mountain without killing myself?"

The slope was far too daunting and far above my experience level. What did I do? I looked at the mogul in front of me...Not the entire mountain. I thought, "That's nothing more than a little hill. I can certainly navigate that."

Thus... I focused "only" on what was in front of me. One mogul at a time. Guess what happened? I reached the bottom of the hill safely. I was able to achieve the goal of survival and ski down a mountain that I should never have been on because I focused only on what was in front of me. One step at a time.

More times than not, the obstacles that get us off track are not external life challenges, they are self-induced. Join me tomorrow and I'll share with you how to achieve success when worry, concern, and stress get in the way of you achieving your goals.

Enjoy the Journey!
XOX Karlene 

12 comments:

  1. Half way there. When I reach it, at this rate, I'll still be 3 years shy of the mandatory retirement age! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!!! And then they'll change it to 75 and you'll be golden! Happy Holidays!!!

      Delete
  2. Karlene, a lot of people are so overwhelmed with events and things in life that when it comes to the strive to achieve a goal, people take it in that same way, to do it all in one lump some and not step by step.

    Little do we know, the step by step process is indeed the way to go. I am glad that this process worked for you especially with looking down that mountain and that you were able not only to achieve those fear of heights but to enjoy the reward of acquiring a new way of having fun.

    Cheers, Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Jeremy. Now all I'm hoping is I can take my own advice. hahha.
      Yes... one step at a time for sure! Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  3. The longest journey starts with a single step. It may take over 100 hours to get your PPL (it did me, multiple locations, instructors and schools) but it's all towards the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are headed in the right direction! You're pointed in the right direction...just keep flying!

      Delete
  4. A pilot afraid of heights ? That's ironic.
    But you conquered two obstacles for the price of one.
    Good example K.
    NIGEL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been conquering that fear for years... but surprisingly enough, many pilots are afraid of heights. I think it's a personality and control thing. Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  5. Hi, with just 246hrs and a CPL, how does one get a job and at least start building some hrs, it's been a struggle. I had to get back to the books to at least get a Frozen ATPL as I stl look around for a job, 12months and counting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very difficult with those hours. Depending where you live, some countries hire first officers with that amount of time. In the US the primary way is to become an instructor. Type in the search box building hours.... there are more ideas. Best of luck!

      Delete
  6. Very good points. I'm looking forward to reading about what inspires you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather. You completely know that one word at a time achieves success.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! If your comment doesn't appear immediately, it will after I land. Enjoy the journey!